Once a month my wine club goes out for a food/wine pairing dinner. My heart sings with delight when a dish is perfectly paired with the wine we’re drinking. Whilst preparing this dish, I was inspired to pull out a bottle of Pinot Grigio to go with it and the results were delicious. Lemon adds a refreshing lightness to this dish which paired *really well* with the wine pictured in the background. I used the olive salad left over from this weekend’s mini muffalettas and omitted the capers because I’m not fond of them. My taste tester couldn’t wait to get her hands on this appetizer.
This delicious, savory spread is a simplified version of a classic French recipe, which is served as a condiment or appetizer.
- 1 lemon
- 1 can artichoke hearts in water
- 1/4 cup loosely packed parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1 tbls capers
- 2 tbls olive oil
- Zest lemon until you have 1/2 teaspoon.
- Juice lemon until you have 1 tablespoon.
- Drain artichokes in mesh strainer and rinse with water.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse until blended completely.
- Serve on toasted baguette slices.
Toasted Baguette Slices
- 20 slices French bread cut in 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 2 tbls olive oil (I used the oil reserved from the olive salad)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bread rounds on stoneware or cookie sheet. Lightly brush bread with olive oil. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Adapted from The Pampered Chef Season’s Best Recipe Collection – Spring/Summer 2011